This poetry competition is open to youngsters who have a passion for poetry and wish to create and perform their own works.
The competition is open to Nevisian and residents on Nevis, aged between 8 and 17.
There will be three age group categories:
- 8 – 11 years
- 12 – 14 years
- 15 – 17 years
Celebrating those who created the path for 48 years of Culturama.
Only one poem will be permitted per child. Poems must be in either Standard English or Nevisian Dialect and it must be the entrant’s own original work and should not infringe any copyright or any other rights of any third parties, nor be defamatory in any way.
Entries must not have been previously published, broadcast or have won another competition.
Entries must be submitted in video format ONLY. No typed or handwritten entries would be accepted. Entries must be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org and must follow the guidelines as set out in the requirements section below.
All entries must be submitted by 4:00 pm on Friday June 17th, 2022.
Any video not following these requirements will be disqualified.
- Use a phone, tablet, computer, or other device to film your poem.
- Start recording a few seconds before and stop recording a few seconds after the end. Maximum length of video cannot exceed 2 minutes.
- Poet must begin by stating the title of the poem and the poet’s name.
- Poem must be recited from memory. No use of notes allowed while filming.
- The video file submitted must be filmed in one single shot, with the camera in a horizontal position.
- Videos cannot be edited. Do not add music, graphics, titles, virtual backgrounds, or computer animation.
- No other person may be visible or heard in the video.
- Poet must be directly facing the camera and the image must include the torso, arms and head.
- Indoor filming is highly recommended, in front of a neutral background, like a plain wall. Outside filming can provide excellent lighting but it must be free of people talking or playing, automobiles passing, nature sounds, etc. Listen to your video before submitting to make sure there are no distracting sounds.
- Avoid wearing clothing in similar colors to the background. Wear solid colors. No clothing advertising competing festivals, sponsors, other brands, etc.
- The winner in each category will receive a cash prize and will be required to perform the winning poem at an event determined by the Nevis Culturama Festival Committee.
Each video file should be named using the following format: Lastname_firstname2022
For example, if the name of the person submitting the video is Mary Williams the file should be named as follows: Williams_Mary2022
The winner in each category will be awarded the following prizes:
- 8 -11 years: $500.00
- 12 -14 years: $800.00
- 15 -17 years: $1000.00
Each winner will be required to perform the winning poem at an event determined by the Nevis Culturama Festival Committee.